My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://umberdove.com/blog;.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Rejunvinated by Redwoods



With a sigh, I am home. My soul feels full, replenished, but a little saddened by leaving the giant trees which surely house my heart. Because I feel a short of words to tell you about my trip, I will leave a list I wrote one day while camping.



June 19th 2008
Today I...

Listened to the wind ruffling the rhododendrons (and thought of Devon). Thought there is nothing more truthful than a great Redwood. Saw the newest growth of a swordfern, all tiny fingers, kinked and uncurling. Loved the word "opportunist" when applied to a Steller's Jay (who knew they made so many different calls?). Realized how much I was like a Redwood Sorrel, bright and shining in the shade, full of color and stimulation, retreating, folding up when the sun's rays beat down too severely. Felt the welcome of the trees, an embracing of kinship. Felt the warning of the trees, where I did not belong. Counted four footbridges, all rustic. Conversed with a rabbit, greeted a chipmunk, startled a quail, respected a raven.

7 comments:

candacemorris said...

this is such a beautiful post, dearling. such words, such musings as only come from my umber when she transcends into nature.

these pictures are also rather delightful. you are so gifted visually. it makes me want more...my eyes are hungry for anything yours appreciate.

Vile-ette said...

i miss you friend and your serene being

UmberDove said...

Miss Vile-ette, I miss you too! Strange to think that the last time we saw each other we actually said "what? not see you till the 28th? impossible!" and yet here we are. At least we will be able to dance on the beach this Saturday night!

Em in SF said...

*sigh*

I would be so jealous if I didn't think you were so fantastically awesome. But I do think that, so I am so happy for you instead.

xoxo

p.s. You would ROCK that blue dress on your Wishlist. Ahem, BRAD, get on that! (not that you cheeky monkey - the dress! buy it for your gorgeous wife!)

BC said...

I don't know anything about a blue dress...

Em in SF said...

BC... here, I'll help you then :-D

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12795860

Unknown said...

to know nature as your flesh begets a refreshing kind of lonliness. sacred sticks and stones never forsake you, stillness faithful as the dawn. all the untouched earth is your hiding place, an evergreen canopy your timeless cache of inspired abandon. the quiet of rivers, birds, bark crackling in the wind interrupted only by your tread - how lovely, how lonely.