My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://umberdove.com/blog;.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Delicacies

Five Things Friday (Delicacies)
This week I was hoping for a hawk feather, but instead I found a handful of these leaves, entirely skeletal, microcosmically delicate, and just as sexy as a pair of fishnet stockings.  I'll take them.

It's been difficult to stay indoors.
My feet have itched and I look at the solid blanket of gold covering the lawn and think of the yellow brick road.  Somewhere there is a destination I want to discover.  Out is just so... magical lately.

On that, I've been thinking on wanderlust.  My own definition of the drive that shimmies up the spine, sets toes tapping, that has the jacket pulled on and the scarf wound before one even knows where.  I want to see it all, but more than anything, I want to wander the earth right around me.  To walk the same mountains in all seasons, to see the leaves drop from a particular maple and know that just the week before, all was fushia and bright.  To know where the elk have been bedding down, tucking that knowledge away to check for antlers after the freeze.  To note the rise of the river or the creep of the snow line.  I'm thinking on it.
Tell me:
where do your feet itch?

7 comments:

bev said...

There is a longing that I cannot name. The Indian Caves in Yosemite? Sitting on the ancient grinding stone? It's cold and snowy there now and here in my Florida it's green of every hue. I guess I am a California girl at heart.

prairiegirl said...

I'm itching to go on my trip to Santa Fe. In fringed moccasins, I'll explore Bandelier, what remains of the Pueblo nomads home. Spend quiet time at a monastery, Christ in the Desert. A long and steep rugged road takes me there. Bike rides around the village of S.Fe, coffee, margaritas and mingling with the locals.
It sounds like you need a trip! When I lived in Seattle, I'd take the hydrofoil to Victoria BC. Now THAT cures wanderlust! xo

pencilfox said...

this may sound strange, but i itch to be able to lay still on the couch and relax a while....

and i'm itching for snow. only a smattering right now. not even enough to cover the lawn. i'm itching to snowshoe....

MJ said...

I don't think I can describe my own wanderlust better than what you have described. Your words drip with such beautiful imagery, really...it's wonderful.

Lately, for the past several months actually, I have been dreaming of the Oregon coast. I have only been there once several years ago and it was enough to stay with me all this time. I remember the enormous, smooth, slippery rocks that harbored in its corners tide pools of gold, pink and green sea treasures. I remember that drive amidst a flurry of deep green majestic trees to get to that coast, and the many times we just had to pull over to walk among them, and feel the mist on our faces. *sigh*
Wanderlust hurts ...
The good news, I live in a new land that reveals itself to me every day. The coast can wait when there is still so much to be discovered just a few steps away ;).
hugs
xo

Cat said...

I tell my boys those are fairy wings : )

my itching feet....they take me to a place of solitude
where the earth is rich with smell and the cool air nibbles at my skin
the winter sun shines in a blue sky and the trees shed their adornments
my itching feet long to walk for hours in these places.....

love and light

MrsLittleJeans said...

I was examining similar leaves only recently...holding them up one by one, admiring....I am not allowing myself itching now (sounds kind of funny) because of various reasons...I am sure you know ...sometimes one has to be deprived....those leaves are incredible, taken off their green jackets...sending you love...

Joyful said...

Wow, those are delicate leaves indeed. So beautiful. I'm itching to go far, far away to Kenya, but alas I have to stay put for awhile. Fortunately the beautiful leaves, intermittent sun, and sometime snow on the mountains gives me beauty to gaze at ;-)