My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://umberdove.com/blog;.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Birth of a Mosserrarium

















And then I made two more.

That's just how I am.  Something grabs me, and I become a complete maniac, forgoing food, sleep, drink, everything in favor of the creative pursuit that is [obviously] the most important thing in my entire life [right at that second].  The only reason I stopped this afternoon was that I ran out of appropriate containers (I was faced with either eating an entire jar of pickles or stepping back and resuming breathing.  I chose breath - but not because I don't like a good kosher dill!).  I think the entire neighborhood must think I'm a nut job.  
"There goes that tall girl again, always digging around in other people's yards, dragging home sticks and containers of dirt, scooping up moss with her big metal spoon, squatting on the sidewalk looking at dead birds, wearing crazy outfits and talking to the chipmunks."

But really.  The idea of making terrariums has been kicking around my head for the past three years or so - from an early issue of Domino Magazine featuring "alternative" house plants (although I do think that some of my neighbors think all that).  And sometime over the Summer, terrarium making exploded on Etsy; you can't click on the front page more than once in any given day without a mossy little bundle staring you in the face. Finally (like I really needed anymore encouragement) I had a chat with a certain boisterous little bird whose love for her own little climate-controlled garden convinced me I could wait no longer.  The rest, well, you've already seen it. 

BC better watch out.  
And eat some more pickles.

Tweetle-dee my mossy little friends!
Umber

11 comments:

BC said...

I love me some pickles! And let me tell all you people, the mosserariums look awesome. I approve, go do it.

Melissa said...

Mossditty moss moss moss. Where on God's BROWN earth am I meant to get moss?!

I like that it's kinda hands off once it's made. Suits my non existent green thumb.

emilyclare said...

how delicious!

The Noisy Plume said...

All I can say is YAY.
And welcome to the terrarium family.

Also.
M: You know you can put more than moss in a terrarium right?

Lastly, I'm so glad I had a telly message from you during all of your terrariumization. It made me laugh terribly hard.
XO

Dutch said...

AWESOME! I'm making one POST HASTE!

Melissa said...

J - Yes... but the moss is just so lovely. I looked at some with cacti in it, but I see enough of that on a daily basis.

UmberDove said...

M - well, there is always a little situation that looks like this:

John + mail order + Christmas = Mosserrarium

So don't loose hope just yet!

Anonymous said...

Oh heavens, I so agree with you about the neighbors: Ours are constantly baffled at the choice of photography I am inspired by and find it quite entertaining that I drag around my baby on my hip and my 4 year old on his bike into everyones gardens rhapsodizing how lovely everything is, quite the same, they enjoy the children while I clandestinely get some nice snaps of the foliage!

Anyhow these Mossarriums are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them with us!

candacemorris said...

i see the new additions are loving their new home indeed and that the wayward painting found a spot in your home as well...

what a pleasing corner.
you must be proud.

she said...

you and that spoon...
i love the closed long-lashed crescents of your blissfully closed eyes. sweety tweety.

Caitlin Kenny said...

I love your mosserariums, they look like beautiful green emeralds. I wish I could find such beautiful moss and greenery down here in Sydney, but until I do, I am very happy looking at yours.