My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://umberdove.com/blog;.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Pickin'

view
lichen
pickin
pickings
berries

THAT was a good one.  It didn't even make it into the bucket.

berry bowl

Snapped this photo and then proceeded to eat all the berries you can see here.  ALL of them.  Every last one.  Not kidding in the least.  And then struck back out to refill the cache.

I'm a berry-picking whore.  

There.  I said it.  I'll sacrifice my skin and clean clothes for the promise of those sweet sweet nubbly pearls of goodness that melt so merrily on my tongue.  For the promise of berries swirled in yogurt or plopped onto ice cream or baked in a cobbler or tossed by the handfuls down the gullet... I'm a weak woman.  When others (a.k.a. BC) have long since given up and surrendered to the lull of stretching out on the river banks I keep on picking and plucking... one for the bucket, two for me.  I'm sure if you were to view a cross-section of my stomach right now, it would stained the most luscious shade of purple - absolutely worthy of being named the Pantone color of Summer 2010.

What is it about summer that is worth the sacrifice for you?
Is it the threat of sunburn to hike one more hour?  The peril of a pedicure chipped and worn from dipping toes in the ocean?  The danger of never returning to the inside world or the hazard of running willy nilly all the way down to Costa Rica to live in sarongs and straw hats till your dying breath?

What IS your favorite thing about these golden dog days?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh <3, I LOVE blackberry picking. Or rather, I love eating the blackberry's I've just picked, fresh from the bush, still slightly warm from the afternoon sun :)

UmberDove said...

Elly. This is important. I have COBBLER and sweet, all natural vanilla ice cream. And it's not going to last long. Hurry over before BC has another slice!

Lizzie Derksen said...

Venturing into the tomato thicket to emerge with a handful of peppers and fruits, then going inside to throw them on pizza dough and drown them in olive oil.

Also: The summer cold bath.

MrsLittleJeans said...

Ha ha, a berry picking whore??? I was called that a long while ago and almost got a job at a berry picking farm but I never looked that sexy : )

What is it about summer...the berries, all of them, a dip in some body of water, yes, the sunburn, now it won't matter because the sun is much kinder, and much more...actually agreeing to laying out in the sun without constantly wanting to get up and do something, and so much more....

Thanks for the lovely reminder...xoxo

UmberDove said...

Lizzy - I think if I was Eve in the garden, I would have used tomato leaves to cover up. They just smell that amazing.

MLJ - you sound like you've got the taste, the fever, the need to be OUT. Weekend plans mayhaps?

lulu said...

gorgeous.

Outdoor Dinners, cafe dwelling with a crossword puzzle and cold beers.

and yes...above all-

'The danger of never returning to the inside world or the hazard of running willy nilly all the way down to Costa Rica to live in sarongs and straw hats till your dying breath?'

sounds about right! ;)

xo,
-lulu