My blog has moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address.

If that does not occur, please visit http://umberdove.com/blog;.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

parslip
Bent
Above
Swing
Squint
When the marine layer breaks

Today
The house feels quiet and slow, like stretching toes into warm sand.
I'm eating pita chips and the last cold dregs of breakfast tea, wearing the comfiest pants I own.
The haphazard composition of empty avocado shell, used knife, pointed tomato stems and dirty cutting board still on the counter from breakfast pleases my eye.
The cats had a fight, scaring me and littering the grass outside with tuffs of orange and brown hair.
I've been looking at the photos I took when SHE was here, thinking about that long walk through wide fields, the way the fog rolled in over our heads, the sunlight becoming surreal, the way we spoke of noticing the small things, the minute details, of being so intentional.  And how bad we needed to pee while still three miles out from the house.

*****
I had a vision a couple days ago, a vision of the painting sort.  I had to set my other paintings aside, slice off a huge swatch of fabric and stretch a new canvas that day.  It's coming along, a dangerous sort of beauty, gray and undulating and I can hear it calling my name all the way from the studio.  I think I'll pop the kettle on, mix up a fresh pot of tea and answer.

6 comments:

kerin rose said...

yes, yes ....do!

( answer that canvas, I mean...)

the birds in the photo look like they are trying to spell out a word.....

candacemorris said...

i loved being a part of that canvas.

literally.
and
otherly.

i miss you. dummie.

MrsLittleJeans said...

First off kr and mme are so cute...I am super curious about the canvas thing! Lovely seeing you and have a great week!

xoxo

resolute twig said...

as always your photos and your whole self are beautiful.

Cant wait to see what you and your canvas come up with. :)

UmberDove said...

Spent some time with miss canvas yesterday... heading back in for a second session today... mmnnn....

Kerin - I think they were, and my shutter captured it just a second too late. But isn't that the way wild things reside best: half a second too late for us to pin them down?

Mme - dummie. heehee

MLJ - I have need of an email chat with you. I best get on that.

Twig - I like you. Just that.

Joyful said...

Beautiful post. So glad you were able to visit with SHE :-)